CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

before we get to the pictures...

of school and everything I have a few stories to share. WARNING: this is long so you may not want to end up reading it all:)

First: I had so much to do yesterday that it was hard to focus and enjoy my kids starting school. One of the matriarchs of Otter Creek died over the weekend. She had a long battle with cancer and related issues finally got the best of her. She was so influential to so many. All that to say this was to be a BIG funeral. Being the head of the food committee AND on the rotation for August meant I had to be involved. So I spent Tuesday deciding what to cook and buying the needed ingredients. Tuesday night and Wednesday morning preparing the food. Both of my kids had Snoopy day(meet their teacher and SNOOP around the classroom) on Wednesday so I had to somehow get them to school and the food to church during the same period of time. In steps my good friends Tressa and Becca who both offer to help me out. I ended up dropping food off to Becca who in turn gave it to her Sister-in-law who was already going to the funeral.

Second: We had our Snoopy days back to back yesterday and even though Jeff and my mom helped it was a frazzling time for me. I felt like Baylor was totally overshadowed b/c I'm trying to get all her brothers kindergarten memories on film. She had to have sensed my frazzledness b/c the girl who went to Mother's Day Out all summer with hardly a backward glance got into the floor in tears when we tried to take her to her new class. (she calmed down quickly enough after they had to drag her into the classroom) As soon as her meeting with the teacher finished, we were supposed to already be in the kindergarten one. So I didn't get to mingle with the two year old moms b/c we had to throw Baylor at my mom in the parking lot, hurriedly show Christian his class and walk in late to the next meeting. We missed the introduction time so I don't know half the peoples names or who goes with what child. Some are from church so I already knew them, but out of the 18 kids that's only accounts for 5 (including Christian).

Third: I've been tossing and turning the past few nights for a couple reasons. One, when I have a lot on my mind it is hard for me to sleep and I knew my baby was beginning a new phase of life that takes him further out of my influence. He is going to be with some of the most godly people I know all year, but they aren't me and who knows what the future years will bring with other teachers and friends. Second, my dear sweet husband has been sawing logs like you wouldn't believe and keeps waking me up!!! I know he is exhausted right now and can't help it but I keep leaving the room to try and get some sleep. Last night when I left around 2am Christian was out of his room and said he couldn't sleep. He and I are very similar and I suspect he was nervous and that translates into hard to get sleep for him. I told him since Daddy was running me out of the room with his snoring anyway that just for tonight I would come sleep with him. We both snuggled in and slept pretty well til 6:30am (even though he is a bit of a bed hog). So now I can say we had a sleepover the night before he went to Kindergarten.

So today we had a little redo time before Christian went to school and I took Pics of the kids on the front porch with their school bags and videoed Christian going up the steps at school. This all leads to the fourth story.

Fourth: After dropping Christian off at school and doing a couple quick errands, Baylor and I headed to her friend Avery's house to drop off something and play a little. For the first time in all my driving years I LOCKED MY KEYS IN THE CAR!!! Part of that long track record was due to the fact that my two previous cars and a key code on the drivers side so I could always get in that way. But I was also very scattered this morning b/c even though I didn't cry I am affected by leaving my son at Kindergarten for the first time...so I was being a little scatterbrained. Avery's mommy was nice enough to let me use her car to go home and get the extra set of keys. Sounded like a great plan until I realized I couldn't get in the house b/c my keys were still LOCKED in my car. So I had to call my dad and ask him to meet me at the house to let me in.

You would think that would be the end of our day, but on to story number 5

Fifth: My dear friend Tara had Snoopy day with her kids today and we waved this morning as I dropped Christian off. She calls me shortly before time to pick him up and says her car is completely dead and could I bring her and her kids home...Of course I say. When I get to school people are trying to jump her battery for the second time and still nothing. They decided it is probably electrical and it needs to be towed. We get her kids car seats transferred to my car and think we are all good to go. The kids are all hungry and we are headed for the nearest McD's. After we drive a couple of miles she realizes that she still has her car keys and the tow people need them. We turn around, go back to the school and put her keys in the car as she is talking to the tow people giving them directions where to find her car. We head back to McD's, get every one's food and think NOW we'll go home, eat and be merry. The kids are being good, but complaining of hunger by this point and we reassure them that as soon as we get to Tara's we'll eat. We pull in her driveway and then she realizes (just like me a few hours earlier) that her house keys are with her car keys in the car that started all this trouble in the first place!!! Kids are still complaining of hunger and just want to get out of the car. Our house isn't that far away so we turn around and head there--assuring the children that yes we will feed you EVENTUALLY. We did finally make it to our house to eat and Tara's sister came to pick them up with an extra house key about an hour later.

That sums up my craziness over the past two days. If you have read all this, thanks for letting me ramble a bit.

4 comments:

jenni said...

oh christy--i'm so sorry you've been stressed-that's a lot to take in!
i'll pray that you can enjoy the rest of the week/weekend!

Anonymous said...

Remind me to tell you about a
similar experience I had more than
twenty years ago.
Love you

The Blankinships said...

bless your heart! i'm tired just thinking about all you've had going on. hang in there, friend! it'll get better. ;)

Anonymous said...

sounds like an eventful day! who, but i made it to the end of your story!:) miss ya! *MIM*