Otter Creek lost a legend this week. Ruth Rucker and her husband, John, have been part of the back bone at Otter Creek since it began. She is also responsible for the wonderful Pre-School/Kindergarten that has blessed so many young children. My son is benefiting now along with several other good friends...several of those parents attended Otter Creek and saw fit to send their own children these many years later. Sweet Ruth passed away on Tuesday morning. She had been ill for some time and her family knew it was coming, but it is still sad. John has spent most of his life with this woman...he is in his 90's and they had been married for 70+ years if I'm remembering correctly...I can't imagine what it would be like to lose someone after so long. As I mentioned they both helped start Otter Creek and have been there through so many changes. John always has something to say at those monumental times and I love to hear his wisdom. I wish I knew something to say to him now...I sent a card, but feel the words were not enough. His family is special to so many people. One of his sons "Mr. Ed" (as I call him) is an Elder at Otter Creek now and does so much for so many. He has been special to me ever since he went on a trip to South Dakota with a group of Lipscomb education majors. My sleeping materials turned out to be less than adequate. We were on an Indian reservation in the middle of no where...Mr. Ed drove an hour or so to the nearest town to find me a sleeping bag. I still have it and it got me through those cold nights and then some since:) It's funny what you can remember about a person, huh? His mother always had a sweet smile and I know that many people will mourn her in the coming days/weeks. I know without a doubt she is in heaven right now rejoicing with the angels...thankfull to have no more suffering and excited to meet the Lord she spent her whole life serving.
On to the blessings...some of our dear friends (the Shipps) had there second baby girl last night!!! She was basically on time and very healthy. Eight and a half pounds!! Her momma is no big girl so we were surprised that that much baby could fit:) Baby and mommy were doing fine (as of this morning) and should come home before the end of the weekend. Big sister Lila loved meeting her "new baby" as she called her. I got to hug on each of them last night and rejoice with them in the blessings that a new baby brings! Congrats, friends!!
On a side note...our kids are each a year or so apart. Christian was born in June 2003 and Lila came around in July 2004. Baylor was January 2006 and this sweet girl was exactly 1 year and ten days later:) Poor Sherrisse was ready to pop at each of my children's first birthday parties, but at least this time I didn't have her out in the heat:)
Friday, January 19, 2007
Burials and Blessings
Posted by Christy at 3:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
what a sweet, loving tribute. you have a precious heart!
Post a Comment